Saturday, October 12, 2013

Holidays "Diner"

Just down the road from the "Big House" there is a nice little diner called Holiday's Restaurant. We bought a living social deal ($10 for $20) and headed out the door when we found time for lunch.

As we walked in the restaurant we noticed that this must be a local joint for the construction workers, seniors, and people that live near the restaurant. We walked in the back door so we walked thru the restaurant up to the front door and waited to be seated about 10 seconds. We were taken to the near back of the restaurant past what looked like at some point would be a buffet, but it was empty. We were sat down by the nice hostess and she asked for our preference in drinks.The tables were kind of neat because they had they were covered in commercial ads, but in the center was a tic-tac-toe board and a hangman board... I wonder if they have crayons. I didnt ask so who knows.  A few people came in while we were sitting here, one wearing a hardhat, another was an old man that could barely walk and our waitress knew these people by name, and helped the old man get into his seat and then asked how his eye was doing (he must of had surgery on it).

Our waitress brought us our drinks and introduced herself and then took our order. The menu was pretty much that of a local diner. We ordered cheese sticks for an appetizer, I ordered a BLT sandwich, and the wife ordered fish. 

Our cheese sticks were delivered rather quickly, with a side of hot marinara. They were pretty decent. Pretty run of the mill fried cheese sticks.  What more can you ask for.

About 10 minutes later our food arrived. Mine looked less appetizing then my wife's did. I should have ordered something else. My BLT was on wheat bread which was dry. The bacon wasn't anywhere near hot or fresh, it was chewy and just warm. The tomatoes were pretty old (working at the local fast food joint, I can tell when they are old because they get soggy)But, liking food I ate the whole thing and didn't complain.

My wife said the food was so so for fish and fries. She ate all but one piece and then I finished her plate for her. It was run of the mill battered fish and fries. Nothing special. We pretty much cleaned our plates and then received our check.

I asked her if she takes the bill or what, she said she could and wrote down my living social coupon and took my credit card for the rest of the payment. (On our way out I saw the sign that said cashier, I guess I was supposed to take the bill up. O well) We put our tip on the table and out we left.

Food 6/10 - Pretty much run of the mill bland diner food
Wait Staff 9/10 - Good service, except for the awkward bill paying part
Cleanliness 9/10 - they could have put away the pans for the buffet they weren't running.
Decor 8/10 - Nothing special, a few tv's.
Atmosphere 7/10 - Seems like they catered to the repeat customers, not so much the first timers. Its pretty quiet.
Overall 7/10 - It should be called Holidays Diner. If you want a diner, this is it. Good service, good place for locals, kind of bland food.


No comments:

Post a Comment